|Birth: ||Sep., 1795|
|Death: ||Feb., 1860|
Jonathan Howard Mulkey was the son of Reverend John Mulkey (1773-1845) and Elizabeth 'Betsy' Hays (1773-1839). His parents ans grandparents were buried in the Mulkey Cemetery, Vernon, Monroe Co. KY.
His grandfather Jonathan Mulkey (1752-1845), husband of his grandmother Nancy Howard (1754-1815), was also a Reverend. Grandfather Reverend Jonathan and Nancy Howard Mulkey are buried in the Buffalo Ridge Cemetery, Gray, Washington Co., Tennessee.
On 7 October 1816 (age 21)Jonathan Howard Mulkey was married to Talitha Hardin, in Barren Co., Kentucky. They were farmers. To this union, 14 children were born--5 daughters and 9 sons:
1. Sarah "Sallie" b. 1817, m. John S. Hestand (son of Henry Hestand & Elizabeth Sprowl).Their son John Harlin Hestand m. Amanda Jane Sharklin (dau of William Clements Shanklin & Mary Baldridge) in Williamson Co., IL
2. Betsy, b. 3 April 1819
3. Lucinda Guess Mulkey, b 30 Aug 1821, m. John Rush (son of Benjamin Rush & Rachel Springer) d. 6 Dec 1911 Allendale, Worth Co., MO
4. John H. Mulkey, b 29 Jan 1824
5. Emma Lavina Mulkey, b 13 Feb 1826
6. Howard Mercer Mulkey, b 12 Dec 1829, d 1879
7. Jacob Harlan 'Jake' Mulkey, b 10 March 1830, d 1909.
All of the children listed above were born in Tennessee.
All of the children listed below were born in Kentucky, according to the 1850 Census.
8. Samuel B. Mulkey, b 16 Jan 1832
9. Jesse Mulkey, b.19 Nov 1833 (not listed in 1850 Census)
10. Nancy Marian Mulkey, b 19 Oct 1835 d. 30 Apr 1873 in Allendale, Worth Co., MO. m. Reuben Wesley York
11. Benjamin Franklin Mulkey, b. 6 Sept 1837
12. Isaac Newton Mulkey, b 9 Feb 1840, d 26 Mar 1917, Lane Co. OR
13. Willis J. Mulkey, b Sept 1842
14. Aaron Hayes Mulkey, b 6 March 1847, d 1919
1840 Census: Monroe, KY, 11 persons in household; 6 employed in agriculture.
"...and in 1848 John H. Mulkey and George Aiken went into business at Blairsville..." from The History of Williamson County, Illinois, page 74.
1850 Census: Franklin Co., IL (10 Sept 1850), Jonathan Mulkey, 54, farmer, b. TN; Telitha Mulkey, 50, b. TN, could not read/write; Emma Mulkey, 24, b. TN; H.M., 22, b. TN, farmer; J.H. Mulkey, 20, b. T.N., farmer; Saml B. Mulkey, 19, b.KY, farmer; Nancy M. Mulkey, 14, b. KY; Benj Franklin Mulkey, 12, b. KY; Isaac N.Mulkey, 10, b. KY; W.J. Mulkey, 8, b. KY; Aaron H. Mulkey, 3, b. KY. Children Nancy thru Aaron went to school within the year.
In 1857, child #10 Nancy Marian Mulkey was married to Reuben Wesley York, a farmer in Williamson Co., IL, Township 8, Range 2. Nancy and Reuben moved to Allendale, Worth Co., MO sometime after 1860.
1860 Census: Telitha Mulkey, age 52 was listed as head of household (27 June 1860 Census taken). Also listed: Willis, age 18, a Laborer; Hays, age 14; Nancy Harsten, age 33, b KY. The residence is identified as TOWNSHIP 8S RANGE 1E, Williamson, IL. [Today, this location is on the east side of Hwy 27, or Williamson Ave., 1/2 way between 3rd St. & 4th St].
Death date source: In his application for membership in Son of the American Revolution, B. Franklin Mulkey of 89 Oregon St, Portland OR, a Lawyer by occupation, listed Jonathan Howard Mulkey's death date as February 1860, Williamson Co., IL.
NOTE: Further research is needed to determine if this is the correct cemetery. If you have information or photos, please offer, thanks. Thanks to "digger" for the updated info on Sarah & Lucinda Mulkey, 3/17/2014.
John Mulkey (1773 - 1844)
Elizabeth Hays/Hayes Mulkey (1770 - 1840)
Talitha Hardin Mulkey (1800 - 1881)
Nancy Marian Mulkey York (1835 - 1873)*
Isaac Newton Mulkey (1840 - 1917)*
Jonathan Howard Mulkey (1795 - 1860)
Philip Mulkey (1802 - 1893)**
John Newton Mulkey (1806 - 1882)*
Blairsville (Williamson County)
Created by: Julie Grabill Rasmussen
Record added: Oct 23, 2013
Find A Grave Memorial# 119167577
|Photos may be scaled.|
Click on image for full size.