|Birth: ||Sep. 13, 1813|
|Death: ||Nov. 7, 1903|
JOHN WILSON GILMOUR was born in Lincoln County, Kentucky on 13 Sep 1813 and was the third child and son of GEORGE GILMOUR [ 1788 - 1835] and POLLY TERRELL HICKMAN Hickman [1792 - 1829]. His parents moved from Lincoln County to Christian County, KY in about 1815 and that is where he lived until he was married there to his cousin JANE ALEXANDER BRONAUGH on 29 August 1833. Following their wedding JOHN WILSON GILMOUR and his new bride departed Christian County for Illinois and settled in Hancock County in the Durham Township near LaHarpe. He took up farming there and he and JANE raised a family of 9 children:
1. MARY JANE GILMOUR, born 1834 in Hancock County,Illinois; no further information
2. LUCY ELEANOR GILMOUR, born 1835 near La Harpe, Hancock County, Illinois; married ANDREW JACKSON LINEBARGER on 22 January 1852 in Linn County, Oregon and she died in 1853 in Linn County, Oregon,
3. WILLIAM DAVID GILMOUR, born 1839 near La Harpe, Hancock County, Illinois; married HARRIET LOUISA CASTEEL in about 1860 in Linn County, Oregon and he died in about 1868 in the Sand Ridge Precinct, Linn County, California.
4. JOHN THOMAS GILMOUR, born 5 November 1840 near La Harpe, Hancock County, Illinois; married VIRGINIA LINEBARGER on 26 October 1862 in Linn County, Oregon and he died on 28 January 1905 in Ellensburg, Kittitas County, Washington.
5. GEORGE GILMOUR, born about 1841 near La Harpe, Hancock County, Illinois; no further information.
6. JAMES ALEXANDER GILMOUR, born 31 July 1842 near La Harpe, Hancock County, Illinois; married MARTHA ANN TURNER on 31 December 1871 in Linn County, Oregon and he died on 26 April 1919 in Oroville, Okanogan County, Washington.
7. NANCY ELIZABETH GILMOUR, born October 1844 near La Harpe, Hancock County, Illinois; married first HENRY WISNER on 29 December 1862 in Linn County, Oregon and after his death married TIMOTHY WOODBRIDGE DAVENPORT on 1 October 1872 in Linn County, Oregon and she died on 15 January 1919 in Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California.
8. GEORGE ROBERT GILMOUR, born 22 December 1848 near La Harpe, Hancock County, Illinois; married in Linn County, Oregon EMILY "EMMA" CASADY on 17 September 1871, and after she died in 1884, married a widow, MARY ETTA [MITCHELL] MILLER on 22 September 1892 in Silverton, Marion County, Oregon. He died on 9 June 1925 in Eugene, Lane County, Oregon.
9. MARTHA ANN GILMOUR, born 7 November 1850 near La Harpe, Hancock County, Illinois; married NATHANIEL JACKSON KIRKENDALL on 26 January 1865 in Linn County, Oregon and she died on 11 October 1921 in Olympia, Thurston County, Washington.
JOHN WILSON GILMOUR and his family lived in Hancock County, Illinois from 1833 until early 1851. After hearing stories of wonderful opportunities in the Oregon Territory JOHN WILSON GILMOUR sold the farm and he and his family began the journey west in early April 1851 to join a wagon train in Missouri which headed for Oregon. As a blacksmith JOHN WILSON GILMOUR was an invaluable asset to the wagon train and became one of its wagon masters. The wagon train arrived in Washington County, Oregon in September 1851, and JOHN WILSON GILMOUR and his family settled there temporarily where he filed for a donation land claim which was quickly approved. In early 1852, the family then moved to their new land near Lebanon, Linn County and there JOHN WILSON GILMOUR and his wife JANE became the parents of child number
10: SARAH A. GILMOUR, born 16 October 1852 in Lebanon, Linn County, Oregon; married LAFAYETTE CASADY on 1 October 1871 in Linn County, Oregon and died just prior to 1900 in Ellensburg, Kittitas County, Washington.
JOHN WILSON GILMOUR was a blacksmith and at his shop, four miles west of Lebanon, Linn County, Oregon "he made many of the first plows used in Linn County". He served as Justice of the Peace there for many years. After his wife JANE died in 1885, he moved to Silverton, Marion County, Oregon where he lived until the time of his death. He was visiting his son JOHN THOMAS GILMOUR in Ellensburg, Kittitas County, Washington when he died on 7 Nov 1903 and was buried there in the IOOF Cemetery.
George Gilmour (1788 - 1835)
Polly Terrell Hickman Gilmour (1792 - 1829)
Jane Alexander Bronaugh Gilmour (1811 - 1885)*
Lucy Eleanor Gilmour Linebarger (1835 - 1853)*
William David Gilmour (1839 - 1868)*
John Thomas Gilmour (1840 - 1905)*
James Alexander Gilmour (1842 - 1919)*
Nancy Elizabeth Gilmour Davenport (1844 - 1919)*
George Robert Gilmour (1848 - 1925)*
Martha Ann Gilmour Kirkendall (1850 - 1921)*
Sarah A. Gilmour Casady (1852 - 1900)*
John Wilson Gilmour (1813 - 1903)
Alexander Marshall Gilmour (1815 - 1898)*
Thomas Elliott Gilmour (1817 - 1850)*
Robert Bronaugh Gilmour (1821 - 1882)*
Created by: Ron Stephens
Record added: Apr 17, 2005
Find A Grave Memorial# 10800191